Thursday, November 20, 2008

Elder Care: caregiver training and more

Thank you to Ryan Malone, who commented on my previous post Dementia and Montessori. I want to call your attention to Ryan's site: Inside Assisted Living. I urge you to peruse the information he has collected. It's full of good ideas, and also has links to three other blogs on elder care. I've looked at a number of sites and blogs that present such information and I find most of them are a bit weak. What Ryan's put together, and the blogs he links to, are topnotch. I'm not going to repeat the blog links here, because I hope you'll take some time to go to Ryan's site and get into them yourself.

Another exciting resource I've found is Legacy Caregiver Services, in Portland Oregon. They have developed a 6-week course for family members caring for loved ones, called Powerful Tools for Caregivers. To spread the word, they've trained leaders to present the course all over the country. Judging by the course outline on their website, they've really captured the essence of what people in our situation want and need to know about. I was glad to see there's a good overlap between the issues I'm getting into here on Mimi's Place, and what they discuss.
As part of the course, you receive a handbook, which Legacy has been gracious enough to send to me. Once I have a chance to read it I'll post information on it here. So check back..... And to learn about their class, go to their website Legacy Health Services. You'll need to email them to find out if there's a class being offered near you.

Do you know of any other really solid websites or other offerings, that actually get to the nitty-gritty of our situation? If so, please email me about them.



No comments: