Sunday, November 30, 2008

Elder Care: Powerful Tools for Caregivers

I've taken the title for this post from the 6-week course given by Legacy Caregiver Services. I already mentioned Legacy in my previous post. I have had the opportunity now to read The Caregiver Helpbook which they offer to class participants.

The class and the book are all about helping caregivers for elderly parents or relatives (or spouses) develop self-care tools to reduce personal stress, communicate their needs to family and health care providers, deal more effectively with challenging situations, and more. The book is full of practical information offered in a straightforward manner. It doesn't talk down and it's not full of psycho-speak. I found every page had something of value to offer me, whether it was something I hadn't thought of or a simple validation that, yes, I was doing the right thing.

If I'm rhapsodizing a bit too much here, it's only because I haven't ever found an offering that is as substantive and validating as what Legacy provides (and, no, I'm not on their payroll!!). I feel quite heartened that a book and a class like those offered by Legacy exist. It's good to have a resource that not only recognizes the subjective nature of what we, as caregivers for elderly relatives, each experience, but offers thoughtful and provocative ideas to help intelligent people help themselves. And lots of resources with addresses and phone numbers, too.
If you want to find out if there's a course offered in your area, or find out more about the book, contact Leslie Congleton at 503/413-7032 or email Leslie via this link.

No comments: